Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My friend bought a brand new iMac 24" and guess what happened

Wow! What a machine! State of the art, and the 'first at that configuration' for this part of the world they said. It gleamed, it glowed, it made photographs look better than ever before, it played music, it refused to make coffee. It was heavy with RAM and HARD DISK SPACE, pregnant with performance. Its UBER cool (learnt that one from my kids).

I was jealous, envious and sadly had to look at the damn thing everyday as it sat in my office.
I want(ed) one.

Well, hey presto, walk in one morning after about 6 days use and it would not start. like a car without a battery, an automatic, not even a push start. My friend looked glum, I was amazed. Apple seller arrived, sent it off to the Apple Service centre and they promised him a new machine by the end of the week.

That was 3 weeks ago... the seller still makes promises, the replacement has become 'a spare part'

Oh I would just love one of those machines.... but the servicing.

Dear Mr. H we miss you - you know who you are.

In the meantime, the Blind Man is still groping in the dark.

Anyone want to buy a new Apple?

7 comments:

Donald Gaminitillake said...

wonder from where you purchased it?
I buy all my apples in Lanka no problems as I am with Apple care. BT replaced so many parts without any costs. Everything depends on loyalty.

Rhythmic Diaspora said...

I suspect your jealousy got the better of you and you actually sabotaged the very beautiful machine. I think, when your friend's back was turned, you were sticking pencils (sharpened) into the thing and kicking it with rage.

I won't say anything though, discretion being the better part of valour and all.

Dominic Sansoni said...

RD - you guessed right - went for it with WD40 and the pencils.

Donald - my colleague bought the machine in Sri Lanka and yes, he has Apple Care. Trying to get a confirmed date for a part is taking ages! Let the seller remain anonymous for the time being..I am sure they are trying their best. But, I do miss Mr. H who has now left the country. He was BRILLIANT with service and getting in spares fast. Totally agree, everything depends on loyalty - hope Apple remember's this.

Anonymous said...

Well, Apple's "Just Work" don't they. I have to use them in the school labs and I absolutely hate it.

Not sure what the big deal is anyway, I run the same software at home on my PC (better in fact, 64 bit photoshop CS4 (windows only)makes full use of my 4gb of ram) and I got a quad core, 1tb raid0 hard drive array, an nvidia 8800gts 640mb (which works nicely with Adobe's gpu accelerated software)in a small portable (got a shoulderbag with it) Shuttle casing with 8 usb 2.0 ports, firewire and esata and a IPS dell 20inch LCD monitor for US$1,500. Yeah and I can upgrade it whenever i want. Sure its not as beautiful to look at, but it sure as hell is more worth it.

O.B.S. said...

Well I think your colleague needs triple portion of carrot cake now !!!!...;-)))

Dominic Sansoni said...

The machine came back on Friday last. the case/cover not put back on properly, bits of rubber sticking out all over the place. Oh, and they have lost the power cord. GREAT

Unknown said...

That's why I prefer my old XP Acer... If it looks good then it gives you pain!!
Ben